Richard (Dick) A. Schwartz is a trial lawyer involved in every area of the firm's practice. He has handled, tried, and won numerous cases in both state and federal courts. Dick graduated from the University of Texas in 1975 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. In 1979, he received his law degree from the University of Houston .
Dick is admitted to practice in all Texas state courts, the Supreme Court of Texas, the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas, the Fifth and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Dick has handled many cases in state and federal courts outside of Texas . He has tried over 60 lawsuits, involving matters such as mergers and acquisitions, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, personal injury, maritime salvage, unfair labor practices, employment discrimination, insurance bad faith, and other matters.
Dick's practice is mostly trial work in each of the areas of the firm's practice. Additionally, he works with executives on their employment contracts, employment terminations and separations, and he assists his clients with the writing and interpreting contracts and terms and conditions, with particular focus on indemnity, insurance, limitation of liability and warranty issues.
Dick has taken industry courses in refining, refinery economics and well control. Dick holds the IADC certification for Well Control at the Supervisor level.
Dick is a member of numerous professional organizations. He has been a member of the Garland Walker Inn of Court since 1987, and serves on its board. He was the executive director for 9 years. Additionally, Dick is the Fifth Circuit Trustee on the National Inns of Court Foundation. Dick was the President of the Federal Bar Association, South Texas Chapter in 2000. He is a fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation and Texas Bar Foundation. He was chairman and member of the District 4J State Bar of Texas Grievance Committee.
Dick has authored and lectured at numerous legal education programs. He has written papers and given lectures on such subjects as expert discovery, insurance coverage, deposition preparation, terminating a subcontractor, admiralty law, investigations, legal privileges, and ethics.
Before going into private practice, Dick served two years as a briefing attorney for Hugh Gibson, a federal district court judge.
Dick is also a certified flight instructor for single and multi-engine airplanes and instruments and an avid bicycle rider.
- Year Joined Organization:
- Areas of Practice:
- Complex Litigation
- Labor & Employment
- Product Liability, particularly re oil field equipment contracts
- Litigation Percentage:
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Bar Admissions:
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas, 1979
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1975
- Published Works:
- Expert Discovery Under the New Rules, University of Houston
- How To Give Your Deposition, Houston Claims Association
- Top 10 Reasons Why Lawyers Get Disbarred.
- Ethics Jeopardy
- Unfair Claims Settlement Practices (Co-Author), Houston Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Section
- Recent Court Decisions in Admiralty Law: An Update (Co-Author), Greater New Orleans Barge Fleeting Association's River and Marine Industry Seminar
- The Basic Insurance Policies, Part Four: General Umbrella, University of Houston, CLE
- Insurance Bad Faith, The Defense Perspective, Houston Claims Association
- Advanced Civil Litigation-and Insurance Litigation-Coverage Disputes, University of Houston
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- Lecturer, Terminating the Subcontractor
- Lecturer, Recent Court Decisions in Admiralty law: An Update, Greater New Orleans Barge Fleeting Association's River and Marine Industry
- Lecturer, How to Prepare for Your Deposition, Houston Claims Association
- Lecturer, Current Issues in Bad Faith - Defendant's Perspective, Houston Claims Association
- Lecturer, Umbrella Insurance, University of Houston Law Center, Continuing Legal Education Program
- Lecturer, Expert Discovery Under New Rules, University of Houston Law Center, Continuing Legal Education Program
- Lecturer, Advanced Civil Litigation/Insurance Litigation - Coverage Disputes, University of Houston Law Center, Continuing Legal Education Program
- Honors and Awards:
- Founding Fellow, American Inns of Court
- Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fifth Circuit Trustee, American Inns of Court Foundation
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Garland Walker American Inn of Court, 1993 - Present
- Executive Director (1993-2002), Member and Executive Committee
- Federal Bar Association, South Texas Chapter, Treasurer,
- Secretary, Vice President, President, National Delegate, Board Member
- College of State Bar of Texas, 1993 - 2001
- District 4J State Bar of Texas, 1998 - 2003
- Member, Grievance Committee
- District 4J State Bar of Texas, 2000 - 2003
- Chairman, Grievance Committee
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Past Employment Positions:
- Federal District Judge Hugh Gibson, Briefing Attorney, 1979 - 1981
- Eastham, Watson, Dale & Forney, 1981 - 1984
- Thelen, Marrin, Johnson & Bridges, Head of Litigation (Houston), 1984 - 1990
- Birth Information:
- 1953, Galveston, Texas, United States of America